http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/world/asia/10terror.html?ref=asia
Citation:
China Says Plane and Olympic Plots Halted
The New York Times
By: Jim Yardley and Jake Hooker
March 10, 2008
Summary:
A man that was part of the Muslim region of Xinjiang boarded a jet, which had to have an emergency landing because it was said that two people were intended to take over the plane. They also found out on Sunday, that the police raid they had made against the group in Xinjiang last January now shows proof that they were planning an attack on the Olympic Games this summer being held in Beijing.
The airplane problem happened the same week that a man armed with bombs hijacked a bus full of Australian tourist. Later that day a police sniper killed a man, but no details were provided. These series of events are now starting to worry security officials that there is going to be a terrorist attack while the games are being prepared.
Reaction:
a) This article relates the AP World Theme namely cultural, religious, and intellectual developments. This summer is supposed to be a time of gathering of all the top athletes in the World to compete, and a time of peace among the different countries. The 2008 Summer Olympics will not be the same if there are attacks ruining the spirit that should be present.
b) In January the raid against the Xinjiang’s was an important find, because if this was not detected than there could have been a terrorist attack during the Olympics. In 1972 there was a devastating event where there was a killing of an entire team in Germany, and people wouldn’t want to have another horrible situation like that occur this upcoming Olympics.
c) This article is being written by two males that are outsiders to this situation. They seem to know a lot of information, but based on the way they are writing the article they seem to be looking in on this conflict and are not directly involved.
d) In this article, there are quotes and statements by a man named Mr. Wang, who seems to be accusing this group of terrorist attacks, but that has not been fully proven. He stated, “Obviously, the gang had planned an attack targeting the Olympics.” He also said that he thought the gang had ties to the East Turkestan Islamic Movement. Mr. Wang is deliberately drawing up conclusions that these groups of people are responsible when there is no true evidence.
e) One missing voice that should be present in this article is someone working on preparing the Olympic Games. They should state, what they feel about the conclusions being drawn and if they believe that there is going or would have been an attack.
f) I think that this evidence found in January saying that they were planning an attack, could very well be true but I don’t think it is right for people to draw an opinion or conclude anything ‘til we have strong evidence that this is was going to be a true event.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought the topic of your article was really interesting. I think that if their was an attack on the Olympics there would be world-wide chaos. I do agree with you though, when you said that you don't think they should accuse anyone until they have evidentiary support. I think the topic is a very contorverisal one as well. I think the topic of terrorism is extremely controversial world-wide and it seems that everywhere you turn lately all the news has to do with terrorism with is really a horrible thing. I really liked your response and agree with what you are saying.
This article was really interesting, I thought. I can't even imagine what would happen if there was a terrorist attack during the Olympics. It would be hundreds of times worse than previous attacks because the whole world would be involved. I don't think that its right to automatically accuse people, though. Even though there were threats, I think that they should not accuse anyone without the right evidence. Even though I don't think that they should accuse anyone, I think that they should definately keep an eye on the issue because if there was to be a terrorist attack on the Olympics, it would result in the loss of thousands of lives and would be a world tragedy.
Post a Comment